These acorn nuts will be used as print heads to extrude the molten plastic on the almost-done Makery Mendel 3D printer. I started the process by holding the piece of allthread (Which has a shallow hole in the end) in the lathe chuck and threading a nut onto the end. Â I know that generally a bolt thread isn’t true enough to rely on for machining, but in this case, I want the operations all true to the bolt, as that’s how it’s going to be held in use.
Next, I faced off the rounded end of the nut, being careful not to get too deep (which is what happened on the rightmost unit). I then used a tiny drill bit in the tailstock chuck to ever-so-gently drill the hole. Â On the 0.3mm unit, you can see where the drill bit had a slight bend in it, and wanted to drag around the part instead of start drilling in the center. Â I was able to change the orientation of the bit in the chuck to correct this.
Finally, I cut a bit of an angle on the side of the nut, making it more conical than round. Â Sort of like a cut-off funnel. Â Hopefully it works well. One of the nuts turned out to be plated (which, sadly, is one of the sizes I didn’t make a duplicate for)
Tonight, I did some prep work on a new EasyDriverÂ (on breadboard) that I ordered for an upcoming project. I mounted a 4-pin Molex Floppy connector for the motor output, and pin-headers reversed for breadboard mounting.
I also milled the gear off of a scrap stepper motor and built a coupler to a fancy leadscrew I had laying around. The leadscrew in question (pictured foreground) is about 9″ long, has 5 starts (5 parallel sets of threads) and has a twist-rate of 1 inch per turn (one TPI). Â The screw is further teflon-coated and uses a (probably Delrin) plastic nut.
Brandon questions if “thatÂ wimpyÂ stepper” can drive such an aggressive leadscrew, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem. Â If it does become a problem, building a new coupler (or finding a motor that has the same shaft size) shouldn’t be hard.