Tonight, I did some prep work on a new EasyDriver (on breadboard) that I ordered for an upcoming project. I mounted a 4-pin Molex Floppy connector for the motor output, and pin-headers reversed for breadboard mounting.
I also milled the gear off of a scrap stepper motor and built a coupler to a fancy leadscrew I had laying around. The leadscrew in question (pictured foreground) is about 9″ long, has 5 starts (5 parallel sets of threads) and has a twist-rate of 1 inch per turn (one TPI). The screw is further teflon-coated and uses a (probably Delrin) plastic nut.
Brandon questions if “that wimpy stepper” can drive such an aggressive leadscrew, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem. If it does become a problem, building a new coupler (or finding a motor that has the same shaft size) shouldn’t be hard.