UnMaker 2.0 – The Largest Dead Blow Hammer

A few years back, Brandon made a giant wooden mallet from a piece of butcher block counter top that was laying around the space. This was a 9pm, make-it-right-now sort of project. He’d repurposed a chair leg as the handle, but it was a bit too short and bent, making the mallet awkward to use. We dubbed this bludgeoning device “The UnMaker”, and used to “unmake” things that needed unmade. Eventually the handle failed and the head was lost.

Fast forward to August 2018 – Eric and Kevin were cleaning out the shed a bit and decided to build a new UnMaker. We turned up some maple planks for a head and handle and started piecing things together. The head was going to weigh about 15 pounds. About that time, we noticed that we had “just enough” material to build a hammer that matched the proportions of the bright orange Dead Blow (shot-filled) hammer hanging on the pegboard across the shop, and an idea was born.

After some quick math, we ended up hollowing out several layers of the head using a router, and purchasing 4 packs of 6000 steel BBs from Walmart to fill the void. It turns out that lead shot, while ideal for this application, is expensive and difficult to find. We ended up with about a 60% fill, and a total head weight of 34 pounds.

Ben helped out with the handle design (using a taper and a retaining pin) to make it replaceable in the future, and Eric put a coat of orange paint on the finished product.

The result speaks for itself. You don’t so much swing the UnMaker 2.0 as you do lift and drop it. My form in the video below is sub-par, based on our later experiments.

In an ironic twist, this giant utility knife hit Hackaday shortly after we finished up our hammer.

Spice Rack

This is just a quick and dirty spice rack I put together for my wife. It’s a piece of plywood (supported at an angle by a chunk of 2×4) with some maple cleats glued and stapled to the front. Figuring out the size and placement of the cleats took the longest (Thanks Ben and Eric), but the entire project only took an hour or so. I wasn’t originally going for a documented tutorial, so the pictures are just of the finished product. Someone else’s measurements would vary anyhow, given the sizes of their cupboard and its contents. It’s the thought that counts, right?

Partition Walls and Robot Arms

Today was a pretty full, if short, day at the Makery; It started around noon, when the power was out as we arrived; It turned out to be a circuit breaker that must’ve tripped overnight somehow.

Once power was restored, work continued on both the robotic arm controls and the partition wall that now divides the overhead door area from the “kitchen table” area.  The partition itself is made up of 5 4’x8′  panels, which are pinned and bolted together, and then painted.

Brandon also made quite a bit of progress on the “dis-armed” z-axis of the robotic arm he’s been dissecting. Using an Arduino and an old Traxxas speed control, he had the linear actuator going pretty reliably, though the speed control might be missing some magic smoke now…  A short video of the arm is here.