UnMaker 2.0 – The Largest Dead Blow Hammer

A few years back, Brandon made a giant wooden mallet from a piece of butcher block counter top that was laying around the space. This was a 9pm, make-it-right-now sort of project. He’d repurposed a chair leg as the handle, but it was a bit too short and bent, making the mallet awkward to use. We dubbed this bludgeoning device “The UnMaker”, and used to “unmake” things that needed unmade. Eventually the handle failed and the head was lost.

Fast forward to August 2018 – Eric and Kevin were cleaning out the shed a bit and decided to build a new UnMaker. We turned up some maple planks for a head and handle and started piecing things together. The head was going to weigh about 15 pounds. About that time, we noticed that we had “just enough” material to build a hammer that matched the proportions of the bright orange Dead Blow (shot-filled) hammer hanging on the pegboard across the shop, and an idea was born.

After some quick math, we ended up hollowing out several layers of the head using a router, and purchasing 4 packs of 6000 steel BBs from Walmart to fill the void. It turns out that lead shot, while ideal for this application, is expensive and difficult to find. We ended up with about a 60% fill, and a total head weight of 34 pounds.

Ben helped out with the handle design (using a taper and a retaining pin) to make it replaceable in the future, and Eric put a coat of orange paint on the finished product.

The result speaks for itself. You don’t so much swing the UnMaker 2.0 as you do lift and drop it. My form in the video below is sub-par, based on our later experiments.

In an ironic twist, this giant utility knife hit Hackaday shortly after we finished up our hammer.

Oscilloscope Music

A few weeks back, I caught a video on AvE’s YouTube channel of graphics drawn on an oscilloscope, given an audio input. Last week, Ben, Garrick and I decided to give it a try at OMG.

According to Garrick’s research earlier that week, “older scopes” do better with this sort of thing, and OMG’s scope is plenty old. We had to do some tinkering with the settings, and the phase, eventually arriving with the left channel on Input 2, alternating vertical and External trigger (ch2). It worked best if the laptop volume was turned clear up, as it gave the best signal to noise ratio.

We’d initially hooked the scope directly to a laptop headphone jack (through a spaghetti of cables), but as Eric pointed out “To be music, there’s gotta be…music”, and no devices we had would play on the headphone jack AND the internal speakers at the same time.  We ended up hacking up a powered speaker to give us a stereo output and play both channels on a single speaker. This gives us something to feed the oscilloscope AND lets folks hear what the audio actually sounds like. In addition, it had a lot less noise than our initial mess of wires.

As for what we played, we just searched YouTube for “Oscilloscope Music”.  Someone who works with Jeff mentioned Aphex twins “windowlicker” and “songs about my cat” by Venetian Snares as two examples of spectrographic songs.