RedBull Creation challenge entry. It’s a brain-wave game. The players stand on opposite sides with wireless headsets that measure brain waves. One of them presses the big red button on the back, and then as they focus the power of their minds, the arm responds to their brain wave readings, and moves back and forth according to who is focusing best. After 10 seconds the Bullduino (visible at the front in the window) checks whether the pointer is in one of the green scoring zones. If it is still in the yellow zone, it’s a tie and it just returns to center. If it is in one of the green zones the player on that side is the loser, and the ball sprays that player.
What’s this strange thing?Â This is the TacitTheremin, a device which helps blind people understand their surroundings using ultrasonic sound ranging.Â Designed to work in tandem with a cane, this device allows users to get a greater sense of what’s around them at ranges that exceed a cane and in any direction in which its pointed.
Inspired by the Tacit, an invention made by Grathio Labs, the TacitTheremin is a modification of that design concocted right here at the Omaha Maker Group.Â It mounts to the wrist, receives distance measurements from an ultrasonic sensor, and outputs sound to the user through a speaker (low tones for far distances, high tones for short distances).Â It ranges from 16 feet down to 3cm, 5 times per second.
This whole project started as an attempt to replicate a Tacit (because the idea is just so darn cool), and in the end it turned out to look quite different, with different coding as well.Â You can read about the epic journey in detail, and make your own for a friend (on an individual project basis).
But enough technical stuff.Â See it in action!
Currently, this prototype is being field tested by a local Omahan named Mike, who happens to be blind.Â Stay tuned for a followup video.
You can reach me with any comments, questions, or concerns here.Â Just be sure and put “TacitTheremin” in the subject.Â Alternatively, feel free to comment below!
Tonight, I did some prep work on a new EasyDriverÂ (on breadboard) that I ordered for an upcoming project. I mounted a 4-pin Molex Floppy connector for the motor output, and pin-headers reversed for breadboard mounting.
I also milled the gear off of a scrap stepper motor and built a coupler to a fancy leadscrew I had laying around. The leadscrew in question (pictured foreground) is about 9″ long, has 5 starts (5 parallel sets of threads) and has a twist-rate of 1 inch per turn (one TPI). Â The screw is further teflon-coated and uses a (probably Delrin) plastic nut.
Brandon questions if “thatÂ wimpyÂ stepper” can drive such an aggressive leadscrew, but I don’t think it’ll be a problem. Â If it does become a problem, building a new coupler (or finding a motor that has the same shaft size) shouldn’t be hard.